Thursday 6 August 2020

Clearing out rubbish

We have started to reduce some of our excess rubbish and unwanted things. As I mentioned in my previous blog, this began last week with a trip to the tip to get rid of the old dishwasher and barbecue, but with Covid it is no longer a straightforward business of just turning up with ones rubbish. We had to make an appointment nearly two weeks ago, and we got a ten minute slot to unload everything. Only one person is allowed out at a time, and we had to wear gloves and a mask, so Ann stayed in the car. With half an ear missing, I have trouble keeping my mask on. I was struggling up the steps with the heavy old barbecue in both hands when the mask suddenly slipped off round my missing lobe, and was hanging from the other ear by its elastic. I had to continue up the steps till I could  dump the barbecue, with my head tilted wildly to the other side hoping the mask would not blow away.

Then at the weekend, I tried to get rid of two of the four old bikes cluttering the garage. I had put them up for sale on Gumtree for £20 each, but had no takers even when I reduced them to £10 each! So I took two of them out to lean against the tree by the road, and made a large notice saying "FREE BIKES" which I glued to stiff cardboard. They both went within the hour, and whoever took them even took my notice, so if I want to try the same with the better of the other two bikes, I'll have to make a new sign. The other bike is quite rusty, so will probably end up at the tip on my next trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!