Sunday 3 January 2021

Into the new year

 What a New Year. We celebrate with our extraction from the tenticles of the EU to launch a time of independence. Boris Johnson is getting remarkably little flack for his Brexit withdrawal agreement; does this mean he's got it right or is it just to complicated to understand? Probably the later, though the problems will only emerge with time as people try to live by the new rules. So far, lorry drivers seem to be passing through Dover with no holdups, perhaps because the traffic density is still low; but the EU has already agreed to waive much of the paper work for the first year, to give it a chance to work smoothly.

On a positive side, the UK is pushing ahead with a green and considerate agenda. They have banned the cruel and wasteful practice of pulse fishing, or "electic shock stunning," to knock out all fish just to catch a few flat fish. Though even here, reading past the headline, we note that the EU are banning it in 6 months anyway, and the UK could have banned it before the 31st December, but timed it to look good. As usual nowadays it's hard to differentiate truth from whatever message the powers that be wish to push.

In Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon has restated her intention to leave the UK (surprise surprise!). She is determined to gain independence so she can be free to rejoin the EU, just as other countries seem to be building pressure to leave the EU and gain independence. It's hard to understand her logic in all this.; experts suggest it could take her 10 years to leave the UK and be accepted as a member of the EU. At that stage, I'm sure she'll be welcomed in, for by then it could be that the EU only has three members: Germany, France and Scotland. 

I am trying a new method to control my pruritus and scratching. I have given up on the many potions and lotions, and instead am using a new technique of conditional learning. It consists of a rubber band round the wrist, which I twang every time I feel the urge to scratch. The only down side so far is I sometimes forget to twang it, but am reminded by Ann saying, "what happened to the wrist flick?". I guess I may need another band on the contra wrist to remind me to twang the first wrist. But I must say, over the past two days, I subjectively think I am itching and scratching less.

Autumn in Lockdown
On the art front, I continue painting and have completed an autumn view of the river Stour in Clare from the old railway bridge. There is something magical in painting in oils. They are very expresive, yet at the same time forgiving. I could paint the bland autumnal scene, then add the dark railings of the bridge, to show my frustration at the current restrictions.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!