Wednesday 31 March 2021

Pigeon pests and high jinks

 My earlier picture, Strata 1, taken from the strong banding formations seen in  Dales Gorge, Western Australia, looked a little barren. I have always much admired the striking geological formations we see in the UK, but even more prominent and colourful strata can be seen at sites round the world. The native tree there has the odd name, Snappy Gum Tree, and is distinctly white, so I have now added one to the composition. It breaks the bands up well, and is a worthy addition to the frame.

Strata 1 and Snappy Gum Tree

Making the most of the hot March weather, I could take my first walk of the year round the fields without being caked in mud. The ploughed fields were heavy with pigeons that rose in a thick cloud as I approached. This morning, after the Nightingale's early greeting, came heavy repeated gun shots. I suspect the farmers don't see pigeons in the same way as we non-rural folk, but view them as pests gorging on their newly planted seed. Ann hates to see birds shot, but even she curses pigeons when they crap on her car. She refuses to park on the drive beneath our huge maple tree throughout the summer because of the bird mess, so parks on the roadway instead.

Ann is fond of japes, always at my expense. I have a habit of sitting on the stairs to fasten my shoes and flicking my slippers into the corner for my return. Now when I came back from a drive or walk, I often find just one and have to play "hunt the slipper" for the other. It may be hung from a door knob, or hidden in a basket; Ann peeps out semi-secretly, full of amusement at my loss. This morning, for just a few moments I left a bowl of fruit I was enjoying for breakfast. When I restarted it, I suddenly came upon a slice of cucumber slipped in and hidden beneath the oranges and benanas. Of course, Ann bursts out laughing so I know it's her. 

Today she is full of high spirits as the end of lockdown looms into sight. Already we have booked time away in Northumberland and can't wait to get away, although we dare not risk a holiday abroad until next year, though, so that is something to look forward to in the future. Out on the walks, people are opening up like the buds on the trees, suddenly cheerful and chatty. Taking the car in this morning, our local garageman came over and chatted for nearly 20 minutes, and even the Ocado delivery man spent time on conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!