Friday 10 December 2021

The return of the wanderers

The new Turkish restaurant in Haverhill
 Edwin and Andre have finally returned to the fold after their US trip. They should have been out of quarantine at the weekend, but because of delays in testing, it was not till Tuesday morning that they were given the all-clear. This meant Edwin missed his regular trip to UEA in Norwich, but at least he could run his sessions from home. They came round on Tuesday evening, the first time in over two weeks since we have seen them, and shared a first rate meal at the new Turkish restaurant on Haverhill High Street (highly recommended).

Bronte dog is getting old, and like her owner she is stiff getting up, and sometimes walks with a limp. She can no longer jump in the car, and even with the aid of a step to get in, I fear she will damage her hip or legs jumping out again, so I took Byron alone when I had to go to one of my hospital checkups. He had become more reluctant to get in the car recently, probably because he's squashed in next to Bronte who makes her dislike of him too obvious. But this time, alone, he couldn't wait to get in and was so happy there. After my hospital visit (alone because of Covid restrictions), we had a great walk on Hardwick Heath, just behind the hospital.

The consultant, a dermatologist who is nominally responsible for monitoring my melanoma, usually keeps trying different creams or tablets to ease the bad pruritus, and this time was no different. I think he is working his way through the ABC of dermatology, and gave me yet another diagnosis for it with a new cream to try. I have added it to the cabinet pharmacopeia of creams and lotions I have amassed. Even Edwin and Andre managed to smuggle through security a veritable caseload of tablets and lotions for me to try, each unique to America, and I must admit that between them they have given some ease.

Ann and I have been invited to take wine with the people who live down the road in Hundon at the Old Chapel, former home of the United Reformed Church which is its turn was once the Congregational Chapel. It was still in use when we came to Hundon, but its poor congregation led to its closure and conversion to a house. It is still surrounded by old gravestones and reputed to be haunted. Yesterday our friends Rae and Malcolm came for afternoon coffee. At least that was the intention, but we all went straight to the wine. They know Jim and Sue at the Chapel well from when the U3A was running (University of the Third Age); they used to do art together before Covid closures drew a line under everything. I hoped they would come too, but they will be seeing their grandson's play tonight, so Ann and I will go alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!