Friday 3 April 2020

The doctor is in

I have received an unexpected letter from the General Medical Council: they are reinstating me as a GP for the duration. I am still on the GMC register as a pharmaceutical physician, but haven't had direct contact with patients for some years. Now the government is so desperate, they are looking for anyone they can get to help.
The trouble is, as someone at high risk, I am supposed to be self-isolating, so I suppose I can do no more than offer telephone assistance. But all our conferences and work is done remotely these days, so perhaps I will have to see patients using a video link to ask them questions, and ask them to point their phone at the area needing examination. Perhaps I can ask them to press their own stomachs too, and tell me if it hurts. Not sure how I can listen to hearts and lungs though - I wonder how sensitive the iPhone microphone is when pressed against the chest.

Repairing the Chesterfield
We continue to fill our day as best we can, introducing variety in our surroundings to break the day. In the morning, I have breakfast at the kitchen table. We take lunch in the dining room; then for our evening meal we laze before the television and I eat with a tray on my knee. Ann has moved the furniture around a few times to get some variety, but currently it has ended back where it started a week ago.

We have a large Chesterfield we bought at action some years ago. I have mended a few of the springs, but it had grown tired. Some of the old underlying sacking had torn through from children bouncing on it, and I have been meaning to mend it for some time. Six months ago, I bought the sacking on Amazon. Three months ago, I bought the tacks. Yesterday, we upended the beast and I finally tackled it, replacing the old sacking. At this rate, I will get the outstanding jobs done by Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!