Thursday 24 September 2020

A touch of sun in darkening days

Sunrise over Hundon

 It was raining much of yesterday and overnight, but this morning, as I listened to Bach before seven, the sun broke suddenly through. It came in an unexpected blaze, throwing huge red rays across the sky for a few moments before dark curtains of cloud rolled across and the rain returned.

Being elderly and susceptible, Ann and I were meant to have our flu jabs yesterday. We arrived to find the hall locked, so contacted the surgery for information. They said it should have been the day before, and swore they had told us the correct date, but I know Ann wrote it straight on the calendar when they phoned us. Also, the same thing happened to Mary-Anne, so they have previous. They've now given us a new date which I asked them to write down, so we now have the evidence if there's another error.

Being in Clare, we arranged to meet for a drink in the Swan after Ann did one or two errands and I walked the dogs. Coming back, I took a short cut between two paths down a grassy slope when my foot caught in a strand of barbed wire hidden in the grass. It gripped my shoe so I couldn't regain balance, and toppled like a felled tree onto the grass. Happily, I'm just bruised and nothing seems broken. Fishing mud and greenery from my arm and trousers I rejoined Ann for a welcome brandy, its warmth and vitality a brilliant restorative for aches and shock.

Yesterday was grandson Luke's 18th birthday. We send a card and money towards the new car he hopes for, with apologies for not being able to see him but wishes for an enjoyable day. He replied saying, much as he'd love to go wild, the curfew, sixth form work and mid-week tiredness prevented him. Oh, sober youth - how you are restricted. 

Yesterday too, Ann phoned her cousin, Joyce, in Kent. She's 92 and full of life. She's recently taken up a vegan diet and says she's never felt so healthy! Her granddaughter is a clairvoyant and told her she still had many years to live, but would die quietly in her chair. Now whenever she feels under the weather, Joyce refuses to sit in her chair until she feels better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!