Saturday 26 September 2020

We get two gardeners

 We finally managed to get a gardener in response to Ann's request on the Hundon Facebook page, following the failure of the previous one to return. He is called Henry, and came round immediately as he's just starting out, and had bought a sparkling new lawnmower. He eyed the garden and said it would take two people all day, so I'm glad I didn't attempt to start it. He then left to pick up his mate, George, and between them they have done a very thorough job. At one point, there was a sudden deluge, and being green they tried to keep mowing the lawn though the rain must have been blinding them. We suggested  they put the mower in the side shed and wait in the house with a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Going to Clare with the dogs, I was unable to park anywhere on the High Street or in the Market Square, so ended up behind the Swan again. Like falling from a horse, I think it best to face the place of the fall without trepidation or hesitation. Getting back, I thought it only fair to order a drink as a token payment towards using the Swan's carpark. The new government rules are complicated. I sat in the garden with the dogs, but the garden serving hatch is now closed so I went in. It's table service only so we're not allowed to order drinks from the bar. I duly ordered a brandy to take out, but Nick brought out a glass with only a two-thirds measure, as he'd not got the new order in yet. But at least he let me have it "on the house", as I carried it carefully back into the garden. 

The pain in my shoulder from the fall is now reduced to a dull ache. If it were in the mouth, I'd see a dentist and have it out, as it does make driving harder. The shoulder won't easily move round to follow the wheel, so I have to feed it through the right hand using the left. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!