Wednesday 8 September 2021

Having a PET scan leaves me aglow

The PET scanner awaits
 I have had my PET scan, in interesting exercise involving the injection of a large volume of a radio-active sugar and total starvation since the previous evening, even though the appointment was for 2pm. Ann dropped me at the door of Addenbrookes, for she is still forbidden entry. I was welcomed in and asked a long list of questions including "Are you pregnant?" When the two young ladies conducting the interview later explained I would be highly radioactive for 8 hours and mustn't go near any children or pregnant women, I said I should have asked them if they were pregnant. They took me seriously and said they aren't allowed to work on the PET unit if they are pregnant.

I was then taken into a side room and a cannular inserted. One of the nurses then disappeared and came back with a trolley bearing a heavy metal box from which she withdrew the injection: a huge syringe encased in metal to protect her from the radiation. They injected the stuff rapidly, then ran from the room leaving me alone for an hour while it distributed itself round the body to be taken up by any stray cancer cells that use extra sugar.

I was then told to empty my bladder, and they pointed to a toilet while keeping their distance. A prominant notice above the toilet requested men who had received their injection to urinate sitting down, as they do not want radioactive sprinkles for some poor soul to have to mop up. They then led me into the PET room and bade me lie on the couch, drop my trousers below my knees to keep metal clear, then put my arms above my head and keep still. It is a vast cavern of a room with the PET scanner like a huge tunnel in the centre. The room was very cold despite the 28deg C. temperature outside, so they threw blankets over my legs to cover my modesty and arms to prevent me shivering and left me alone. The whole procedure took about 40 minutes. I managed to keep my arms raised, though it would have been difficult to bring them down again because the tunnel was quite tight. I also kept still, manfully ignoring the many itches that demand scratching when you know you mustn't move. Finally it was done and they said I could go, still keeping a good distance between us. 

I would have been advised not to wait in the cafe because of my dangerous radiation, but the cafe is still shut because of Covid so I waited outside for Edwin to pick me up and take me home. I had a mild headache and nausea with indigestion, probably from hunger, and had forgotten to take even a biscuit to eat. A glass of milk and a couple of chocolate biscuits soon eased it, but was still very tired so excused myself for an early night after a light meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!