Thursday 14 April 2022

Arming birds against a cat

My portrait of Nick on display
At a recent meal in the Swan, we were surprised to notice that Nick had pinned up the portrait I did of him. I gave it to him some time ago, but hadn't seen it anywhere, so assumed he had taken it up to his apartment above the pub.  Now it has appeared in the restaurant area, looking out proudly onto the diners, my first public piece! 

Having finished the portrait of Michelle, our late and much missed niece, Ann suggested I do one of her mother, Ann's sister Jane, so this I have started, choosing a picture from her youth to base it on. It has made a good start and I hope to finish it soon. I'm not sure what has drawn me to portrait painting, rather than rural scenes, or more imaginative works. I suspect I don't have much imagination or originality, so portraits are an easy option. However, I do feel sometimes I am cheating by painting only from photographs, even though I try to chose photos I've taken myself. Perhaps I can find a real-life class now I am retired and practice drawing people properly.

At the weekend, we gave some money to the bookies to enjoy the Grand National, although Edwin did manage to win enough to get his money back. Mary-Anne had the neat idea of letting her budgie choose a horse. She read out the list of runners in front of his cage, and let him choose by making the most noise against the runner he wanted. I think she hoped to have a new and profitable system, but alas the budgie did no better than the rest of us.

Mike continues to recuperate at home. He seems to be on even more medications than me, but appears to be in good spirits, and says his partner Ryan is looking after him in royal manner. Alas, he has not managed to go 'cold turkey' in stopping smoking, although he has managed to cut down a little. Our thoughts go with you Mike, for your recuperation and your will power.

Today I walk the dogs while Ann goes into Waitrose. Walk is an ambitious verb. More accurately, I take them for a shuffle ambling about in a random manner in the Sudbury park, not liking to stray too far from the entry point and the sanctuary of the car. In the middle of the field a young couple are picnicking; their toddler sees the dogs and starts to cross towards them, rapidly chased by the alarmed mother who snatches him up before he's half way to us. There are many youths about but they do not frighten, seemingly enjoying cans of Coke in the sun rather than snifters of coke. No, it is myself I fear of getting too tired or breathless and struggling to return. Some boys are by the river barely 100 yards away but a long-distance hike for me to watch them jumping in off the roof of a brick hut and swimming across, a feat I wouldn’t have done even in youth. 

Lion poo guarding the birds

Ann has two loves: birds and trees. She watches in sadness as the latter are felled but can do little to prevent it. But now a new enemy has come to take down her birds: our neighbour's cat.  It squats on the roof of the saloon waiting to pounce and Ann has declared war against it, short of chemical weapons. Initially our flapping Ukrainian flag was enough so hold it at bay, but now it has rebuilt its courage to try a fresh offensive. Ann's friend in the village recommended 'Silent Roar' lion poo and brought some round which has been sprinkled liberally. Then we bought a cat alarm which screeches with a high pitch in the cat's ear. Now she has bought a whole tank full of citronella. I found a spray for it and this too has been added to the arsenal. Now we wait to see if these weapons of deterrence work


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!