Thursday 7 April 2022

Newsy catchup

A family photo

Yesterday afternoon was a follow-up appointment with the oncologist. I am still short of breath on effort, my ankles are swollen, and I have peripheral neuropathy with numbness and tingling in the fingers, but my blood parameters for renal function have been improving, and even my haemoglobin has increased from 9.0 to 10.0 g/dL (normal for men is 14-17). My fear was that she would offered me the choice to continue treatment or not, saying "we can try one more if you'd like to", which would put the onus on me, with consequent worry if I had made the 'right' choice. If I went into renal failure again, I would probably wish I hadn't gone on with it, or if the cancer came back quickly, I would have regretted stopping. Nevertheless, the consultant decided I should permanently stop the immunotherapy, as at my age it may be doing more harm than good. I had been wondering whether to request it be stopped anyway, so now the decision is made for us, and I am glad. We asked about the overall prognosis, but she refused to commit, saying she will know more when I have had my next full scan, delayed through after-Covid pressures on the NHS. She ended by saying I might die of old age yet. I said, "you mean I might live to 88 instead of 80?" but she looked doubtful at this thought! Perhaps she meant 81 instead of 80.

My brother Richard and his wife, Chris, visited on Saturday, their first for nearly three years. Edwin and Andre joined us for tea to introduce Andre to some new members in our family. Needless to say, Bronte insisted on being included in the family photoshoot. Richard has lost much of his hair, but otherwise is in remarkably good health and is currently arranging a five-mile hike for his men's group. In contrast, I remain hairy on top while being a complete wreck underneath.

Mike has sent Ann a belated Mothering Sunday gift of a bracelet and a book of Bronte letters. This is so thoughtful, and reflects a rare love for a good stepmother. In pleasing Ann he pleases me, so the gift is doubly appreciated. He and Ryan run a new business from home designing websites, and which seems to go better each month, so we all wish them well with it.

Even though the majority of the population have been well jabbed, Covid seems to draw closer despite - or because of - the new freedoms we're enjoying. Next weekend, Ben and Kaz should have stayed with Luke, their son, but Ben has gone down with Covid for the second time and is quite unwell. Andre and Edwin had invited them over for Sunday lunch, so that will not happen either. Luke is studying computer science at Leeds, and gets on well with Andre whose career is also computerature. One of our friends in Haverhill, Malcolm, has also gone down with Covid and Edwin had it recently, so we are all too aware of the continuing risk. Malcolm also is well into his 80's, so our thoughts are with him for a full recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!