Thursday 22 November 2018

Laughing at Bladder Cancer

Down to London this morning for a business meeting. London was its usual hectic self. I certainly felt much more energised than I have for some time. I suspect my tiredness has a strong psychological component, but Ann has an easier explanation: in London, you have to keep moving or you get mugged.

On the tube, and in the inevitable breaks in these meetings, I started reading a book Ann bought me when first I got my bladder cancer: The Funny Thing About Bladder Cancer by Guy Wheatley He certainly captures the positive side of what we go through, from the first finding of blood and the first cystoscopy through the drama of despair and hope as treatments progress. I envy his style - I'd love to have so much humour about it all. But he wrote the book some years after the first diagnosis, so hopefully he's looking from the perspective of being clear. My perspective is looking at a great pit, and I'm still waiting to be able to turn round and look back at it. Interestingly, I always thought the big advantage of private medicine was the speed of diagnosis and treatment, but Wheatley had huge delays despite having private medical insurance. He owed debts to the insurance company for some previous treatments that hadn't been wholly covered, so they called in a debt collector and refused to pay out anymore – even for his cancer investigations – until he'd paid off the debts. 

Ann is the archteacher of business meetings. When I started, I was abrasive, interupting people with my opinions, certain I was right, I generally didn't stay at those jobs for long. Now, I generally keep silent, answering questions if asked. I still think I am right, but I try to keep my opinions to myself. It's funny how little managment want to know about what's wrong with their system. I could offer them a one man Deloitte or McKinsey business consultancy and save them a fortune.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!