Friday 1 May 2020

Art and identifying shrubs

What hedging shrub is this?
We are hoping to plant some hedging between us and our neighbour's house. We have some in the front hedge which has lovely red stems, and bright red leaves that die down to a nondescript green. It grows to well over 2 meters and seems to be in leaf all the year, but is not a beech. Our friend Robin, a keen gardener, thinks it might be Red Robin, but the book of words thinks this is a smaller shrub. If anyone can recognise it, I'll try to order some more.

I received my letter from the NHS today, confirming I am on the list of vulnerable people and therefore to be treated with kid gloves. The restrictions they advise are too onerous: not going out at all, even for exercise or to walk the dogs; wholly separate facilities such as room and towels; even sleeping in separate beds. It's bad enough as it is - I would not like to be forced to endure further confinement.

Daughter Lucy
Ann and I continued our art therapy this afternoon, whereby I attempted a portrait of Lucy. It is very therapeutic, for me if not for Lucy. The total concentration forces one to relax and move at a slow pace, with a vague sense of achievement even for such poor efforts. Lucy is a sport and says she loves it! Thank goodness her name isn't Meghan or she might have sued me.
 I still have much to learn in this game while it is still fun. For the eyes, particularly, I must find a thinner brush as they look like heavy mascara. Also I need to learn how to graduate shading; at the moment it looks more like "painting by numbers". Perhaps I would do better just sticking to leaves, like the picture above.


1 comment:

  1. Good morning Grandad John,
    I have just discovered your blog by accident whilst googling for something else in Hundon. I have spent the last half an hour reading some of your posts and found it fascinating. I used to see Edwin out with the dogs but thought i hadn't seen him for a while. I first met him when he was involved with a production with Centre Stage Company some years ago.
    The shrub is Red Robin - our neighbours planted it in their driveway and it had grown to well over six feet high, but the new occupiers have cut it right down.
    I will say hello if I see you out with Bronte and Byron when I am out with Dottie.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!