Monday 4 May 2020

Moving on

Moving on
This silent lockdown
has made me analyse
the story of my life,
the gains, the losses,
the constant proding
of memories past,
time for me to reconnect
with those I loved most dear
and put away the cruel sham
that has trapped me here.
Many of my previous blogs have railed against the lockdown, the restrictions to freedom, the huge economic destruction, and the loss of the local pubs. It is time to redress the balance and consider the gains this enforced stillness has given us.

For Ann, it has given a time for reflection to think of her life, her memories, her friends and relatives near or distant who have meant so much. For me, more exercise than I have done in a long time, walking the dogs daily; some gardening (but let me not overstate this virtue); to carry out repairs that have been waiting, sometimes for a few years; to connect with our family directly each week through HouseParty and the quiz night. Also, and so valuable, a quiet time of peace, with little work coming in, and no high-level conference calls or travel to London or beyond to visit companies; no queueing in traffic jams down the M11, or facing the horrific squash of tube trains at rush hour. Also a time for pastimes such as the painting we have started. I'm just sorry we don't have access to lessons - we are having to find our own path with no guide. We may not be earning much money, but the respite is a delight - almost the first time I have been so idle since childhood.
Kingfisher by Ann

Outside the home, there have also been many blessings from all of this. There is a tremendous sense of peace, with no traffic, no children running down the street, no harassed mums dragging them to school each day, or crowding their cars along the road at 3:15pm. On the dog walk, one garden has hung celebratory discs from the tree with rainbows, and put a large painted wooden disc with a message of optimism. There air seems cleaner, with no airoplanes above. In the garden, the birdsong is louder and more cheerful than I have heard it for years, We are seeing all types of birds, even a kingfisher flew into the front garden and landed on the table before flying off to the hedging, while overhead, so high it was hard to follow, a large bird of prey, possibly a buzzard, was turning on the wind, barely moving its wings as it looked for lift. For the first time for many months, I am not getting hospital appointments - though that is probably an uncertain blessing, as all my checkups and follow-up scans have been cancelled.
Message in a Hundon garden 

No, such times as these may never return once the "new normal" fades into history to become the "old normal". I know the majority will want to get this time behind them, but for now, it is wonderful to enjoy this special time and - for those not stricken with the dread bug - consider how fortunate we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!