Friday 27 August 2021

More good news

 Good news today. The consultant at West Suffolk Hospital phoned with the results of my recent MRI. He was delighted to tell me the X-ray of my brain showed there was nothing there! In other words, the cancer has not spread there, so they can go ahead with the PET scan of the rest of the body to check for any other possible secondaries. After that I will get the information about what they intend to do with me.

So much has happened since my last blog post. Yesterday, the freezer defrosted and seemed reluctant to refreeze all the soggy food. I finally said it was clearly broken, and we ordered a new one. This morning, everything was frozen solid again and when I measured the temperature, it was firmly at -19C! By then, Ann had thrown out much of the old frozen food ready to empty it. However, it is quite old and the shelves keep falling out, so we haven't cancelled the order. It arrives tomorrow.

Also last week the windscreen on Ann's new car had a small chip so we got the Autoglass man out to repair it. He said it was a nice easy one, and there would be no trouble doing it. He had repaired 40 screens in the Cambridge area that week, and all had gone smoothly. Unfortunately, when he cleaned Ann's prior to filling its cavity, the screen suddenly split from side to side so now we need a new one. He did not appreciate me saying he'd been tempting fate. He said there was a long wait to get a new screen, so we mentioned that I had a cancer, so might need driving to the hospital. He said he fully understood, as his wife was only 30 with a young child, and she had just been diagnosed with a serious cancer. I later joked that his trump card had been out-cancered my cancer, but no one thought it funny. Anyway, a few days later we had the new screen, and Ann's car looks like new.

Artistic cows in Cambridge

Our son Ben and Kaz came to visit on Saturday. We arranged to meet up in Cambridge at Edwin and Andre's apartment and had a lovely day showing them the city, which Kaz had never visited. We went to the Anchor pub for lunch with its wonderful view overlooking the river. We ordered the vegetarian meals, but they couldn't provide any veg! They were saving them all for the evening roast dinners. Meat clearly has too big a role in some people's lives; Ann tried to fool them by ordering a roast without the meat. She got two roast potatoes and some cabbage, but no gravy - they'd run out of the vegetarian variety. 

Cambridge is filled with cows at the moment. They have all been colourfully painted and follow the themes of some of Cambridge's great names, such as the Isaac Newton cow with wig and gaiters, or this one near the department of physics with some other famous scientists and mathematicians. 

Ben and Kaz meet us in Cambridge

I'm definitely feeling much stronger. Today too I walked the dogs in the fields behind the church without being breathless. The church was open with half a dozen cars on its drive; tomorrow is the Hundon Flower Festival, and the whole church is decked out with flowers, and they'll be serving tea and coffee. However, walking back through the village I saw no sign of anyone else decking their homes with flowers. Our old vicar described the village as "Heathen Hundon", and I think the same epitaph applies to everyone's enthusiasm to support anything in the village. I do not exempt myself from this charge - I didn't even know there was a flower festival till I passed the church.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!