Wednesday 27 October 2021

Being prepared for surgery

The day began early while it was yet dark. At 6am, a nurse/barber entered to shave my torso and arms. I had a hairy chest, and soon the pile of soft fur grew in a mount on the paper towel he had spread over me. A little later, others entered and marked a cross upon me to indicate which side to cut on. The surgical team entered to tell me I was third on the list, so would go down approximately at 1pm. 

Washed, preped and ready to go

I have squirted Octinisan anti-MRSA nasal gel up my nostrils, had a second shower, covered myself with antiseptic gel, donned surgical pants and gown, and have struggled to pull up knee-high anti-embolus tights, which are a fetching shade of white.  A large notice on my door proclaims "NBM", so I've had nothing to eat or drink since yesterday and I'm thirsty. I'd love a large shandy right now. Many people have sent good wishes and prayers. Edwin joined Andre's prayer group last night, and the whole group prayed for me! Ann's Catholic cousins in Glasgow and her American cousin in California have joined in the prayers. I don't know any muslims or buddhists, but I'm covered on every front Christian-wise. 

By coincidence, someone I used to correspond with about our ideas on galaxies, dark matter and the Universe, got in touch last night with a question, having read one of my papers. I dug out the paper and framed a response, so this was all suitably distracting, but I then added the bombshell that I was actually in hospital and would have surgery in the morning. I think he lives on the East Coast USA, but is otherwise unkown to me, but he too sent his anonymous good wishes. 

I could not order breakfast or lunch, but the dinner lady recommended a light ommelette for dinner so I've ordered that. I don't anticipate being up to anything much once this violence upon my person has been accomplished, but they promise I will be hungry later. I trust the prayers will see me through, so I shall update this bulletin once I'm capable of rational typing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!