Tuesday 12 October 2021

A new porch canopy

The Women's Race is underway
 For a number of reasons Ann hates driving my car, but with my impending stay in hospital she may need to, otherwise the dogs will be left behind each time she goes out. One reason is the state I keep it in, so today I drove into Haverhill to rectify this minor deficiancy at our local carwash. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that the last stage of the delayed 2021 international women's cycle race was starting in Haverhill before going round most of Suffolk to end up in Felixstowe. My walk took me over the old railway viaduct just as the tour started, so I got a firstclass view of the event while they were still bunched up just a few minutes after the start. The first part was a short (20km) loop round to come back through Haverhill before the main road event, so the main road home was kept closed, but the back roads were still open.

Back home, we have put a new door canopy over the back door. This was quite a struggle, as the large drill wouldn't penetrate the brickwork, so I was only able to drill into cement bonding. The bolts provided were typical Chinese rubbish, and more like bits of tin that wouldn't tighten in the holes, so we had to take a trip to B&Q and buy some more sturdy bolts and fixings. Even so, because I was unable to drill into the brick we could only get the top two screws in, so I was concerned that the first storm would lift it away until it broke off and sailed across the road, so I have fixed the lower parts of the arms with Gorilla glue, and hope that will hold. They boast it is tougher than any other fixing, so we will see if it's up to East Anglian gales.

They're Off! AJ Bell Women's Tour Leaves Haverhill


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!