Thursday 25 November 2021

Dune and driving again

 

Behind the Tiguan wheel
Finally I am back behind the wheel, after four weeks forced abstinence. The respiratory consultant had advised me not to drive for this time, but on checking it was a legal requirement, so I would not have been insured. My first trip was not romantic - it was to ferry Ann to the dentist, but we did take the dogs and I had a good walk with them by the river in Hadleigh while Ann suffered in the chair of doom. I always think hygienists are more sadistic in their treatments than the dentists. It is strange to be driving again; we have had the car for three weeks, and I feel that everyone has driven it but me. I couldn't even take it on its test drive when we bought it! But it is a lovely high car, and feels much more sturdy than the Jaguar, and far better suited to our rutted muddy Suffolk winter roads.

Edwin and Andre have managed to get to New York. This was a major achievement with the restrictions of Covid, but Edwin booked the tickets early having anticipated the reopening of USA to foreign visitors even before it was officially declared. This is an important trip for them as they will be holding a family gathering with Andre's family, presenting Edwin to his mother and father. Andre's sister Flavia and her fiancĂ©e will also be there, so it will be a grand reunion. 

Edwin in New York

On other news, I had my repeat whole body scan last week to check if the melanoma has spread its black wings further afield, and will see the oncologist next week to discuss future management. Lucy had mentioned that a friend from her childhood, Laura, also has metastatic melanoma and is receiving immunotherapy, therefore I made contact with Laura this week, first by email and then by phone. She is incredibly positive about a nasty condition, despite bad side effects from the immuno. Indeed, her positivity is inspirational and puts my moans about minor pain and breathlessness in perspective. Would the world could be so cheerfully brave. 

Ben gave me a new book a little while back called Dune. It was written a long time ago (1966), and was incredibly popular at the time, but I had never read it. Now I'm racing through it; it's extraordinary in its characterisation and depth of analysis of motivation and storyline. I haven't quite reached the end, but Ann and I are going to see to film version this afternoon so I will see how it plays out before I finally finish the book, for I'm a very slow reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!