Sunday 14 November 2021

Lucy and grandchildren visit, and I walk in the park again

Waiting to eat at the Baltic Amber
Yesterday, Lucy and two of the grandchildren visited after the long journey from Hartlepool. Ann had her booster jab booked for mid-afternoon in Haverhill town centre, so we timed the meal together for after that, going on to the Baltic Amber for a late lunch/early dinner. It is themed as its name suggests on Latvia and the Baltic coast, having been set up by Latvians. It was due to open just as the pandemic hit, so we (and probably no one else) got into it for some months, but we've made up for that time by going on several occasions since. They have an extensive menu including local Baltic dishes, all tastily cooked and well presented, with good cheerful service. The only minor complaint is that the meals are too big - not one of us could finish. For example, Ann had ordered a bread stick starter which came in a large iron pot: almost a full loaf covered in molten cheese and truly delicious, but even with four of us tucking in, half the pot was left. 

It was really good to see them all though, and I think they might have stayed on but Lucy had to get back to relieve Andy of their youngest, Theo, so Andy could get to his golf match. Perhaps next time we will persuade them to stay over. The two grandchildren are delightful now, and a pleasure to have around. Some time ago, Lucia used to come with me to Clare to walk the dogs; perhaps when they come again I will be able to drive once more, and we can walk again together. 

Carved kingfisher in Clare

Habitually on Sunday I used to drive early to Clare to collect the paper and walk the dogs while the park was quiet. Today, Ann had to take me. She walked up to the Coop to get the paper and some shopping whilst I walked the dogs on the circular river walk. It was lovely to be out with them again, and I completed the walk well without getting breathless of having to stop, so I think that is a measure of improvement. I walked up to the town centre to meet Ann, noting that the Warehouse saleroom was closed and thinking Ann would be pleased as she wouldn't need to meet Chris the owner when she walked back to the car. He is a generally pleasant Irish man, given to occasional moody sulks, but also very garrulous making it hard to get away, and Ann generally tries to avoid him. I got to the tearoom upstairs where we'd arranged to meet, and there was Ann sitting next to Chris and his wife. They had been there when she arrived, so she couldn't ignore them and go back down, but had to wear a smiley face and welcome me to say hello also. I managed not to laugh or make some sarky comment, keeping a straight face as I greeted them, but later, over the coffee and cinnamon bun, we both grinned as I knew what Ann was thinking.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!