Saturday 6 November 2021

I almost fall into trouble

This morning, Ann drove us to the Sudbury Garden Centre for a coffee and cake. It was good to get out, but we couldn't take the dogs in Ann's car so I walked them a short way in the field opposite. I have mentioned before Byron's instinct for balls and his knack in finding them. Some time ago, he found a football which he enjoys running round the field with. I had kicked it into the hedge before I went into hospital, but he remembered exactly where it was so made a beeline for it. He goes for a long run with the thing hanging from mouth, then brings it up and rolls it with his nose towards me to kick. The ball does not go far with my kicks, but Byron cares not - he still catches it and runs half round the field before bringing it back for a repeat performance. So though I can't walk far or fast, he still is getting lots of excercise. When we finally leave the field, I kick it back down the hole in the hedge. I know he will remember and go straight to it tomorrow.

I regret I have developed a nervous disposition as I have aged, and always jump when the dogs bark. After a spell in the studio working on my new portrait, I made Ann and myself a hot drink and was carrying them in when the back doorbell rang. Byron barked loudly as he rushed past, and I jumped so violently I almost emptied both cups over the floor. Going to the door, a young girl was delivering a parcel. I always stack too many things in my car, and Ann had emptied it ready for selling on Monday, so boxes and bags littered the lobby. Being a clumsy guy who doesn't look where he's going, I tripped over one of the bags and shot forward through the door, almost falling on the girl with the parcel. Happily, disaster was averted as I grabbed the door frame, otherwise I might be writing this blog from the Haverhill police cell.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!