Monday 16 May 2022

Russia's malevolance reaches Hundon

The Ukranian conflict has come to Hundon. I had a routine blood test this morning, but was delayed by a message from my bank querying one of our recent transactions. I thought it might be a scam, but they listed four items I recognised alongside the rogue one, so I phoned their security line. It seems an amount for £19.99 had been blocked by the bank. It was with a digital games company based in Russia, so they are also blocking my compromised card and sending a new one. 

I have finally emerged from two years of indolence, induced partly by Covid lockdowns and partly by increasing laziness, and I have tackled some redecoration. Not much, admittedly, but yes - I have painted the banister rail. Not the whole banister, for I don't want to set too high a precedence - but the top rail. I used a high quality paint I bought many years ago, Dulux One-coat Magicoat. It certainly has given a beautiful, smooth, brilliant white gloss, but quick drying it is not. Even three days later, it remains slightly tacky to touch. But it does look good, and gives me boasting rights.

Having enjoyed the Eurovision song contest, we yesterday visited Essex in the footsteps of Sam Ryder, who came from Maldon and ran a small vegan cafe in Coggeshall. Coggeshall is an attractive town with many old houses. It warents a large entry in Wikipedia, in contrast to Hundon which scores three dull lines. We then drove on to Tollesbury, an amazing complex of inlets and waterways coming off the Blackwater estuary. I had heard of it from our sailing days, but had never been there until inspired by a new Apple TV film series, The Essex Serpent, which is set and filmed there. The dogs enjoyed some great walks along a very short section of the Saltmarsh Coastal Path.

Maldon is the home of the Thames barge. We used to see them regularly, sailing the Orwell and Stour, when we had our boat. Now, we are tempted to go on one of the Thames barge cruises, so perhaps we will return here later in the year.

The Bell Hotel, once a smart coaching inn, has now become a refuge for rogues. It was there that one man with a grievance came with an axe to attack someone else. He is now under arrest for attempted murder, and the victim remains critically ill. They have a number of pictures up as part of the decor, but they have been vandalised with rude messages. In contrast, in the Swan, we met up with our friends Rae, Malcolm, Yvonne and Robin for a peaceful meal.  Yvonne saw the portrait I had painted of Nick, the landlord, and Nick told her everyone had to salute when they passed it! Let us hope no one feels so aggrieved with the service that they post bad reviews over my picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!