Thursday 3 March 2022

The boys are in their new home

The boys enjoy Ann's stew
I am bad at taking selfies. I invariably cut someone off at the neck, or include my fingers, or manage to include myself as a giant with everyone else shrunk to tiny extras in the background. So, when we ended up inadvertently at the boys' house yesterday for a first visit since they moved in, I opted for a simple tableau with myself excluded. It's much simpler, and more certain of success.

How did we end up at the boys' house? They only moved in a week or so ago, but with both working long hours and unable to take time off for the move, they have had to squeeze in arranging the furniture and unpacking their many boxes as best they could in the few hours available. Andre had borrowed my drill to put up a coat hanger, but yesterday afternoon I got an 'advice' call asking what to do next, as the drill bit would only penetrate for half an inch before hitting a literal brick wall. I said perhaps I had better come over to look at it, to which they readily agreed. Ann had spent the morning slow cooking a vegetable stew, all prepared with fresh ingredients peeled and scrubbed by her own fair hand, so she suggested bringing that over as well. Again there was no hesitation in getting their agreement, to which they suggested bringing a bottle of milk and Ann added a dessert. 

For the next hour, they worked like crazy to make the house presentable, throwing boxes in their cars and generally cleaning and tidying. It was worth it. We had a lovely evening in a spotless house, everything in its place, and beautifully arranged. It is a very old house, of flint and brick, and facing one of the original town walls of Bury St Edmunds. Indeed, the roads here are called Westgate and Southgate Street, from the days when there were real town gates, and Bury also still has its Northgate and Eastgate Streets. The house walls are so thick, they form a snug window seat where Edwin likes to perch, and the house is silent, despite two main roads and the roundabout close by. The dinner, with side dishes prepared by Andre whilst I put up the coat hanger, was wonderful. Now they want us round tomorrow for a couple more jobs: to mend their gate which broke in the gales, and to put up a hook in the bedroom. Now my pharmaceutical work is finishing, I may be able to branch out as an odd-job-man.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!