Tuesday 22 March 2022

We celebrate Andre's birthday and the boys' new home

Ann relaxing
 Edwin and Andre invited us over for the afternoon for the double celebration of Andre's birthday, and the housewarming. The house is looking immaculate now, clean brick and old flint on the outside and warm and welcoming inside, set off with their usual flair for tasteful decor. Ann immediately claimed the cushioned window seat, created by the massive thickness of the walls, while I sprawled on their three-seater settee next to the nibbles. 

Two other couples, Brazilian work friends of Andre, were also due. The women arrived first, having come from Cambridge by train, and not long after the two very fit men also arrived, both having cycled a distance of some 30 miles. Food was served from a help-yourself buffet, with a great choice of quiches, cheeses and salad stuff, beautifully prepared and presented. Thank you, boys.

Mark Rylance has long been one of my favourite actors, and yesterday we saw him in his new role as the Phantom of the Open, another British true-life comedy about a Barrow in Furness crane driver who in late life was suddenly inspired to take up golf as a "professional". Brilliantly entertaining, and well worth a trip to the cinema, I recommend it. Later, in Prezzo, I found voice mail from an agency asking me to call back. I did so, but I also had to leave a voice message. Five minutes later, another agency rang to see if I was available for a job. I said I was, and would send my CV. A moment later, the first agency rang back to offer the same job. The pharma company had just put it out simultaneously to both agencies. Not sure that I will be able to manage it though, for even if they overlook my age, I cannot, and feel I will be unable to do more than a couple of days a week now.

Coming home from Sainsbury's today, Ann got a message that our bank balance had altered. "Did you withdraw some cash?" she asked. "No," I said, "I just filled up the car!" Such is the horrific price of diesel now that it is making a noticeable hole in our finances. Ann has also ordered a refill for the oil tank, so we dread to see what that bill will look like. Thank goodness we are suddenly in a mini-heat wave, with temperatures today touching 20 deg. C. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - please add your thoughts!